Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The scare

Being a woman sucks sometimes! Once a year, we have to visit our special doctor and endure being invaded and poked to check for problems only endured by our gender. After that quick visit, we usually don't have to even think about it for another 364 days. We don't expect "that" call. For the past month and a half, I've been in a constant state of apprehension. I got the news that my pap smear came back "abnormal" and I tested positive for HPV. My first reaction was "I'm going to kill Matt!" It can stay dormant, though, for years, so I quickly recanted my threat. Evidently 8 in 10 women will have some form of HPV in their lives, and while this made me feel a little better, it still isn't a diagnosis I wanted.

I went in for yet another invasion last week, and this time the doctor looked at my cells. She saw a spot or two that concerned her, so she removed tissue from my cervix to send in for biopsy. Ouch! I can'I've waited for 8 long days, and finally received the results today. I have no pre-cancerous cells!!! Relieved doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling. While I know pre-cancerous doesn't mean cancer, and even if it did develop into cancer, cervical cancer is extremely treatable, it's scary nonetheless. All I have been able to think about is my children. I can't fathom not seeing them grow up. They are my world, and I can't leave this world without seeing them develop into mature, beautiful adults with families of their own. Silly, huh, to worry myself so much? Oh, well, I feel so very fortunate at this point. St. Patty has spread some of his luck my way. :-)

2 comments:

  1. So glad everything turned out OK! I had this happen a few years ago- had to go in for PAPs every 30 days for 3 months, only had one turn up anything abnormal. Sometimes being a woman is a PITA, or PITV I should say! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay...so glad you got good news! The only blessing I got out of having cervical dysplasia was that mine was so severe that they had to remove a rather large chunk of my cervix. This happened less than a year before I got pregnant with Ben, so I attribute losing part of my cervix to having Ben two weeks early and having a labor that only lasted a few hours. :) Made for a breeze of a pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete