Thursday, February 18, 2010

THIS is why I teach

Teaching is often said to be a thankless job. In my 7 years of teaching, I've found that on many, many occasions, that is the truth. I can't count the number of times, especially over the past year or two, that I've questioned my career choice. Why didn't I listen to Dad and go to law school?? I won't go into the various BS that I encounter on a regular basis, as this post will then turn into a novel.



I had a couple of moments today, though, that make it all worthwhile. As I was lecturing today, one of my girls piped up and said, "History is easy. Mrs. Summers, you're such a great teacher. You make it so easy to understand. I get it when you teach it." I fumbled out a "thank you" and continued, all the while inside glowing. Then in another class, as class was starting, a boy out of the blue said "Mrs. Summers, you're a good teacher." I looked at him sideways, not sure if he was being a smart ass or genuine. I jokingly asked him what he wanted, and he said "Nothing, I'm serious. I don't say things that I don't mean." I have no idea what prompted this, but I quietly thanked him and moved on.



I am not the best teacher in the world. I could put more preparation into my lessons and try to do more things to address multiple learning styles. I could aim to make my classroom more learner-centered and try to engage the kids more. I feel like I do a sufficient job, but sometimes I lose motivation. Moments like the ones today, though, are exactly what I need. I don't need "merit" pay. A simply "job well done" from a kid goes a lot farther than extra money. That's what lawmakers don't understand. Throwing bonuses at teachers doesn't work to improve teaching, because we didn't get into the profession for the money in the first place. I don't know how to solve all of the problems that are plaguing our educational system. I do know that supporting teachers should be a top priority. Perhaps if we get the support we need to improve our teaching, we might get more moments like the ones I had today. Because for teachers who really want to be in the classroom, those moments are what make all the difference in the world.

1 comment: